- When you’re on a business trip, be sure to check for bed bugs upon your return to make sure you didn’t bring any home with you. If you’re still concerned that some might have gotten into your luggage, be sure to pick up a ThermalStrike suitcase, which should ensure you come home bed bug free. You can see a video of their suitcase below this article.
- In some cases, you might think about buying second hand furniture or other household items. It might be the case that you just fell in love with it at first sight or are not willing to spend a ton of money on brand new furniture. So, no matter what the case might be, make sure to check every item you buy before you bring them in to your home. This is the only way to ensure a bed bug doesn’t hitch a ride to your house.
- You should also use a protective cover on your mattress that would encase your box spring and mattress, which would almost completely eliminate this as a hiding spot. In addition, you should also choose a light color for your mattress cover, so that it would be easier to spot the bed bugs. Also, rather than being a miser, here at EcoTek Termite and Pest Control we highly recommended that you invest in a high quality encasement. This is because the higher the cost of your cover, usually the more durable it is.
- In order to reduce the chances of bed bugs infesting your home in Durham, NC, you should also make it a point to reduce as much clutter in your home as you can. Take some time out from your busy schedule and throw away all the unnecessary things piling up in your home.
- To remove any successful hitchhikers, adopt the habit of regular vacuuming.
- One successful bed bug treatment option that you could implement is to be vigilant when using shared laundry facilities. Use plastic bags to transport items which would need to be washed. Also, remove directly from the dryer and into the bag. If needed, you could come back home and fold all your clothes.
- Cracks and crevices should also be sealed since they seem to the perfect source of entry for bed bugs. In addition, make it a point to invest in regular maintenance and inspection from a professional pest control company like EcoTek Termite and Pest Control.
The thing with bed bugs is that they are indeed great hitchhikers. This is because all they need is one place to make home and from there on they would be able to continue their party. So before you know it, your entire home could be infested with bed bugs. Another surprising thing about a bed bug infestation is that the primary source is often at your mattress. No matter how careful you might be about these kinds of things, the maximum that you would be able to do is keep them at bay. However, there is currently no one way that you can completely stop bed bugs from getting into your home. Which means your best line of defense, before you need to call a local bed bug exterminator, is to keep your mattress off limits to these little guys. So, here’s what we recommend you do to keep your mattress from being infested with bed bugs: